A Handful of Women
A Summary of the WaKeeney Public Library History
About five score and six years ago, a handful of women wanted to know more about the world and its culture. Since they were housewives and mothers, traveling was not feasible. So, they decided they would each get a book, sit in their armchairs and read, and then share the information with each other. Thus, they were “armchair tourist”. One book they shared was “How to be a Lady”.
After a time more women were asked to join the group. They decided to be called the Tourist Club. By 1904, the Tourist Club became a Federated Club. They built their first program around “Stoddard’s Lectures”. They purchased this set of books and later placed them in the library. Also, it was important to know the freedom guaranteed by the first amendment of the Constitution: (1) Speech, (2) Press, (3) Religion, and (4) Peaceable assembly. They were active in making sure these were observed.
The members, feeling a need for reference books in their study, decided to start a library. This became the main aim and purpose of the club. A meeting was held at the home of Mrs. W. G. Baker. Each member was asked to bring a book to give to the library. Many more books were contributed than one per member. A room on the top floor of the County Courthouse was given to be used as the library. The library opened in the Spring of 1906. By this time, between two and three hundred books had been assembled. Also, many books were used from a “traveling library”. Periodically, a van loaded with big trunks, or suitcases, filled with books would stop in WaKeeney and library patrons would choose their books from these trunks. The van would then move on to another town and return at later date with different books. The members of the Tourist Club took turns acting as librarians. The library was open only on Saturday afternoons. Miss Alma Knudson was the first paid librarian. She was very efficient and served for several years.
Since the Tourist Club bore all the expenses, the problem of finance arose. When a group of women put their heads together to “brainstorm”, something has to give! They decided to have some home talent plays. They secured Miss Olive Kackley of Hill City to coach several plays. This went well. Later, LaVilla Hicks of Salina coached a play which was given two nights, and netted the club $200. Ice Cream Socials were also held. These proceeds were used to equip the room and pay for rented books secured through a circulating library.
For ten years the Tourist Club maintained the little library it had organized. It slowly grew. Finally, the Tourist Club asked the City of WaKeeney to take over the Library.
In 1916, the City Manager, Mr. John F. Jones, appointed a Board of Directors of the WaKeeney City Library. Mr. John F. Jones was elected President of the Board; Mrs. A. H. Blair, Secretary, and Mrs. H. S. Gither, Treasurer. A resolution from the Tourist Club in turning over the library to the city was on the condition of representation of two Tourist Club members be on the board. Mrs. A. H. Blair held the office of secretary until 1930. The Secretary’s report states that “at the April 27, 1925, meeting, instructions were given to have someone come to reorganize the library and put it in proper condition. The secretary and librarian corresponded with many parties but could get no help from State librarians. Some others could be had — but were price prohibitive. Time was passing and the need to take action was pressing. So, the secretary took it in hand with loyal help and support of the clubwomen of the city and some high school students. There was much to do and no experience and little knowledge of the work on the part of the workers. But study and faithful willingness won out. In spite of the wind and heat, by September the library and museum were in fine order. In September 1925 – 1926 the book committee purchased the Reading Circle list of books issued by Kansas. In cataloging the library, two boxes were packed with worn out books. These were given to Miss Graft who placed many in bookless districts.”
Miss Mary Graft was first City Librarian. The Library hours were 10 a.m. to 12 noon and 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday, with $1.00 salary for the day. A resolution was adopted designating a levy of ½ mill on the dollar on all taxable property of the City of WaKeeney, and requesting the City to make such a levy.
The Library Board each gave of their time, interest, and special abilities toward establishing the library on a firm foundation. With careful management of the funds, money accumulated. In 1937, bonds were given toward the New Municipal Building, now known as the City Building. The west wing of the building was planned for Library use. In 1939, the Library moved in. There were two large airy rooms with a connecting stairway. It was planned to use the lower room as a children’s room.
The Tourist Club had bought a Liberty Bond. When it matured, the larger part of the money was used to pay for a librarian desk planned and built for the new library room. This efficient desk was built by Ben Deines. He also built some bookshelves.
Since 1946, the county has given funds toward the support of the Library since it serves the entire trade community. Many books were loaned to the county teachers and schools.
Gifts were very helpful. Clubs and organizations donated cash, tables, chairs, books, pictures, etc. The Auxiliary of the Veterans of Foreign Wars placed a book in memory of each man from Trego County who lost his life in World War II. Gifts were received from the estates of Mr. and Mrs. Jesse C. Cortright and Carol Kelly. In 1957, a gift received from the Monore Family of Topeka as a memorial to their parents. Many books have been given in memory of departed loved ones.
A Children’s Story Hour on Wednesday mornings was started in the summertime.
A long list of faithful citizens served on the Library Board throughout the years. The names are recorded in “History of the WaKeeney City Library”.
In 1988, an elevator was purchased and installed to make the building handicapped assessable. Also, a copy machine was purchased.
In 1990, the Council and Board met with the System Director of Northwest Kansas Library System for clarification and involvement of the School District and Trego County. WaKeeney Public Library became a member of the NWK Regional Library System.
New Policy Statements were changed as feasible.
In 1992 -93, more space was needed for the library, so they began to look for a location of lots for a new library building.
In April 1994, the residents of WaKeeney voted to approve the issuance of general obligation bonds to build a city library.
The ground, where the Staatz Hotel once stood on Russell Ave, was donated by the Harries family with a matching donation.
By the end of December 1994, contributions from WaKeeney businesses and citizens had raised significant funds. Additional support came through grants, and the engraved brick project was launched
By October 16, 1995, the ground-breaking ceremony for the New Library was held.
The new WaKeeney City Library was dedicated on September 29, 1996.
Now besides a library of books, there are computers, connections with Internet, and e-mail, as well as videos.
And it all started with a Handful of Women.
Compiled by Olga Schwartzkopf for the celebration of the 100th year of the WaKeeney City Library
